Emphysema

By lghettoprincessl Latest Activity July 12 at 8:22 pm Views 895 Replies 2

lghettoprincessl

I was diagnosed with Emphysema 4 months ago at the age of 33, i'm now 34 as my birthday was just a month ago. My doctor told me it was rare for someone my age to get it, and it's definitely not from the genetic disorder either (i took the blood test for that). I've been smoking for 22 years so I know this is my own doing, and i'm having difficulty quitting right now. I did do the spirometry tests and he said my numbers were good. I did make him aware that i do have difficulty breathing when it's cold, hot, sometimes when i take walks, and random moments. So he prescribed me the albuterol pump and to take that only when i absolutely need it. I spoken to a few friends about my diagnosis shortly after, but i've been so depressed these 4 months. I don't know who to talk to, what to say, or where to begin. I was having many suicidal thoughts and found myself isolated from everyone. In all honesty, i feel silly even writing on here because in some sense i just feel that people will just tell me it's nothing to worry about, and I'll be fine. I was trying to look for support groups near me, but the one i did find never answered the phone. I really do feel helpless and hopeless. Maybe you'll think i'm stupid to even feel this way. I don't know…

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (2 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Gulgaio
    Gulgaio September 9 at 8:45 am   

Hi Princess,

I am newly diagnosed myself. I am making myself a 10 year plan - the next 10 years are going to be the best in my life, because I will be working directly with that in mind;

- I will do what I can to optimize health in 10 years; training, healthy food and cutting down ( not taking away completely) alkohol etc
    - I will read about positive psychology - there is a lot to learn about what actually makes humans happy… And then work specifically on those issues (check out PERMA )
    - I will accept the fact that my lungs ages faster than most others - but that I will still have at least 15-20 years before it is critical
    - On dark days I, and atleast once per quarter, I will research the novel treatments on its way - which could promise changes in 5-10 years … The are progress within regenerative strategies such as stem cells, cryo therapy and other area.

I do feel desperate at times, but when it cools off a bit, I can still see that I have plenty of good am interesting year ahead of me…

I hope some of this could inspire a bit… I hope I will be able to succeed - it's up and down alot but when I need to see forward this is a plan I can stick too…

Greetings from Denmark

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA September 7 at 12:16 am   

HI! I am so sorry I didn't see this much earlier. I am happy to meet you and glad you took the time to tell us what's going on with you. It is good to hear you got yourself diagnosed and that you have a treatment plan underway. Also glad to hear your numbers are good. I am sorry you are feeling so down. It's hard to receive a medical diagnosis. It brings up a lot of feelings — anger, sadness, fear. And it is not uncommon to feel depressed and, as a result of depression, isolate yourself. I know a couple of months have gone by since you posted this. And I hope you are feeling better. If you have health insurance, I really encourage you to get connected with a therapist. A mental health professional could give you some emotional support and help you with coping. If you aren't sure where to begin, you might have a conversation with your doctor about how you are feeling. And if you find yourself feeling really overwhelmed, you can also go to an emergency room for help. I also encourage you to stay involved with friends and family, who might be able to give you some emotional support. Again, I am really sorry I didn't see your message sooner. I hope you will stay in touch. Let me know how you're doing. You are not alone.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar