swiming on oxygen

By sarah for nico Latest Activity August 24 at 8:38 pm Views 295 Replies 1

sarah for nico

Hi my son was born preemie so he has scarred lungs, bpd. the symptoms are very similar to copd except he has an advantage of age where as he gets bigger and grows more lung tissue there is a possibility he will grow out of the need for oxygen. In the meanwhile he is on a compressor in the house and liquid o2 tanks for outside. We have a swimming pool in the back yard. Ideally he will learn to swim. I put him in the other day at the edge and he kicked and splashed and seemed to enjoy it…he is 17 months old.

So my questions are..the ebay link of the cooler creation is dead so id like to see this waterproof contraption you all use. And someone was using a dry bag? Can anyone post some images?

Secondly. If you have a nasal canula…can you put your head under water? Are there any swim tips specific for oxygen users?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (1 reply)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA September 27 at 10:36 pm   

HI sarah, it's great to meet you. I am glad you found your way to COPD Connect. I am sorry to hear about your son. He is fortunate to have such a concerned mom. I am a therapist, not a physician, so I don't really have any helpful information or advice for you. But I hope you will stay in touch with us and let us know how you are coming along. And take good care of yourself.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar