Coping skills Ive learned

By heather832015 Latest Activity March 5, 2015 at 2:20 pm Views 1,373 Replies 2 Likes 3

heather832015

I know i havent got everything together yet, but i also dont know if I ever will. However Ive been ill for over 3 years now and have learned some coping skills along the way, and if I can maybe help someone with my suggestions that would be awesome.

ive taken up knitting. When you go from being active everyday all day and then all of a sudden you cant anymore you have to pick up a hobby that can help you de-stress your life and also something you can do. So i taught myself how to knit and crochet, the tools needed are fairly cheap, and there are all sorts of videos on youtube that will teach you the different styles.

I also took in 2 cats, having my kitties can sometimes be a pain because i do have more bad days than good. But they are a blessing more often than not, theyve gotten me through some really bad days.

I also have a daily planner that ive set reminders on to do at least one load of dishes and one load of laundry a day so that im not just sitting all day being depressed. and I have a walker with a seat on it and i use that to sit on and do the dishes, sometimes we have to do what we have to do.

I also try to go for walks at least twice a weak. Now when I first started I was embarrassed to use my walker and went without it. One of the biggest mistakes I made, I was in so much pain just a couple blocks in and had to call for someone to come get me. Now im proud to use my walker, even if people stare, because they just dont know what im accomplishing by being able to walk a bit of a distance. Yes this weather has made that impossible lately, but as soon as the snow and ice melt a bit I will be right back out there.

Well so far thats it. im sure I will learn more, but thats what ive learned so far. you need to make sure to focus on not getting into the depression rut, ive been there a lot, I actually have major depressive disorder, so a hobby, a pet, a walk, a chore that you may have to modify to get done, something to get you mind off your illness or illnesses, yes everyday you will have to face it when you have to take your medicine or doctors, but then we have these support groups, just start typing or if your shy start reading.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (2 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • pamboyd2u
    pamboyd2u July 28, 2015 at 8:21 pm   

Hi Heather,

I know what you mean when it comes to developing coping skills. Mine was to first—-get my Bachelor's degree in IT online. Then I went on and started to work on my MBA. This gave me a mission to accomplish, and also took away from me being depressed and scared about my illness and thus focus on my education. It helped a lot. The only thing is with the unexpected ways you feel from this COPD (of which I have been diagnosed with for the past 3 years), I am now on a leave of absence until October (because I did not take even a week off between classes since I started in 2011. I started stressing out, and became incompacitated, but was able to nurse myself back to health). I admire you for the walks you take (and will try a little harder because even though it scares me and gets me out of breath (if you can do it then maybe I can too). I was doing Pulmonary Rehab, and it helped tremendously, but my transportation wasn't the best. I am so glad that I found this website because I was really scared about what this illness was doing to me. Now I have others I can talk to when I have apprehensions, I can share information I learn about, and become educated on things I do not know about. Thanks everyone!! You will be hearing from me a lot.

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA March 25, 2015 at 6:20 pm   

Hi Heather,

It's great to see you, my friend. And I really appreciate reading your wise words here, as I am sure others have. My takeaway was living life on life's terms, finding ways to do things you enjoy and that work with any limitations you have.

Animals are great companions. Unconditional love. And they have a way of encouraging you to keep moving (I know, also on days when you aren't feeling so good).

And yes, staying optimistic, looking for something every day to feel grateful, staying focused on what's possible, is an important part of your self-care.

Great to see you. And thanks for sharing this with us.

Gary

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar