Hyperbaric Oxygen use for COPD paitents

By ThomasEHunt Latest Activity December 8, 2011 at 9:14 pm Views 2,336 Replies 9

ThomasEHunt

I just read at DiagnoseMe.com that HBOT should not be used on paitents with COPD because it will result in increased oxygen intolerance, increased risk of seizures. So I guess HBOT can be bad for us COPD people. Darn and I thought more oxygen might help our lungs to heal. Guess I'm stupider than I thought.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (9 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Lin~Texas
    Lin~Texas December 29, 2011 at 3:49 pm   

I'm not a doc but here's what I've learned: COPD, including emphysema and chronic bronchitis, have no known cure and are not reversible. COPD is typically controllable with prescribed medications, proper diet, drinking ample fluids such as WATER to reduce or thin mucus, adequate rest/sleep, EXERCISE, both cardio and weights/resistance, and Oxygen levels maintained at or over 90% - amongst other key disease maintenance criteria. Oxygen will not cure emphysema or chronic bronchitis, or heal sick lungs, but it will flow through the damaged lung tissue, be used by the damaged aveoli, and help to replenish the blood with the necessary o2 so that the brain and other organs can do their thing as long as there is lung function still capable of keeping up its end of the bargain. I wouldn't recommend getting serious about anything on DiagnoseMe.com any more than I would recommend learning to leap tall buildings with a single bound from a Superman comic book. Just IMHO. Happy Day,

• ThomasEHunt
    ThomasEHunt December 29, 2011 at 5:11 pm   

Thanks and don't worry, I have no intention of getting serious about any agency or organization that tells me Oxygen will kill you. I only wish I could still do exercise…at present I can't even walk 5 feet without resting and increasing the amount of oxygen I am getting from my tanks from 5Lpm to 8Lpm for about 2 minutes and this makes it really hard to maintain my weight, but I'm working on that too.

• Lin~Texas
    Lin~Texas December 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm   

Check with your doc to make sure that you are 'ready for blast-off!' Just take a few steps and then take a few steps more a little while later. Build on that as a start. Try the seated exercises on realage.com. Look in the video files here, there are some good resources here, too. It only takes a little and it can start to improve. it feels a whole lot better, mentally, too. If I could work back from where I was - it wasn't pretty, couldn't walk 1 minute let alone 6 for PFTs - anyone can. I thought I was a goner but decided not to give up. Hardest work I've ever done … hang in there and keep trying, you will be OK, ThomasEHunt!

• Wisebear
    Wisebear December 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm   

What is Hyperbaric Oxygen? IS that regular oxygen we get?
    Wisebear

• Anonymous
    Anonymous December 28, 2011 at 4:40 pm   
    Edited December 28, 2011 at 4:43 pm by Anonymous

Yes. Something about the amount of Oxygen you get that is supposidly too much and too much Oxygen can kill you according to DiagnoseMe.com.

• Wisebear
    Wisebear December 28, 2011 at 5:14 pm   

Great it is not enough that I am dieing because of this disease now the oxygen I am forced to use is going to kill me too! Wow, isn't life grand!
    Wisebear

• ThomasEHunt
    ThomasEHunt December 28, 2011 at 7:17 pm   

Yea; I don't agree with these idiots…I still think more oxygen is gonna be better than harmful, but then we're just pawns in the game of life, huh?. I never did trust the medical society 100% anyway, one doctor says one thing and another says something different…I'm gonna live as long as I can with them or without them.

• Jeannie Holmes
    Jeannie Holmes December 9, 2011 at 9:46 pm   

It's not stupid to ask questions. We won't learn anything if we don't ask!! HUGS

• bbcmpbll
    bbcmpbll December 10, 2011 at 1:35 am   

I agree 100% with you Jeannie on asking questions, life is one big class room where we all need to learn to ask questions.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar