November is COPD Awareness Month

By RachelChavez Latest Activity November 2, 2011 at 12:38 am Views 3,081 Replies 7 Likes 3

RachelChavez

November is COPD awareness month. If you're living with COPD you are already aware of how the condition affects your day to day life. The purpose of COPD awareness month is to raise awareness about COPD as a serious lung disease, increase the understanding that COPD is not curable, but is treatable, and encourage people, especially smokers and former smokers, to get an annual spirometry test measuring their lung function. Why? Because early screening leads to earlier diagnosis, which ultimately leads to earlier treatment and a higher qualify of life. What are you doing to raise awareness in your community about COPD?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (7 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • sheets
    sheets November 2, 2011 at 9:22 am   

what is the symbol for copd, is it the pin-wheel? i thought i seen that on tv..

• RachelChavez
    RachelChavez November 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm   

Sheets, I don't know of a specific symbol that is being used for COPD awareness month. From what I've seen, it looks like a stick-man stretching his lungs inside a globe. I'm not sure if it will but I hope this helps :)

• sheets
    sheets November 2, 2011 at 2:27 pm   

thanks rachel, not really importent,but i seen on dr.oz ,or no it was on the cake boss with buddy,( being on disabilty you get to watch alot of tv ) and i seen a lady getting a cake made for a copd program she was doing,and she wanted pin-wheels on the cake and she said this was the national symbol for copd,because it takes wind to move it,i dont know ,i just found it interesting..because i know like breast cancer has the ribbon i think? if its not the symbol then maybe we should make it one,what do you think???

• mriser
    mriser November 2, 2011 at 2:46 pm   

The orange pinwheel is the logo for the Drive for COPD campaign which is cosponsored by I believe the COPD Foundation and the Boehringer-Ingleheim corp. Some of the volunteers for Drive for COPD are Danica Patrick, Billy Ray Cyrus, Patty Lovelace, Bruce Jenner, and Jim Belushi.

• Lin~Texas
    Lin~Texas November 3, 2011 at 10:41 am   

hey sheets, logon to copdfoundation.com and check it out … all the goodies are there for Awareness Month. Enjoy!

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 November 4, 2011 at 6:25 pm   

I think that a take off on a pinwheel woul be a good symbol, for COPD

• RachelChavez
    RachelChavez November 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm   

I think if there had to be a symbol that would be a great one! I did find out that orange is the official color of COPD awareness because "Air quality is of great concern to those with chronic respiratory problems, and the color orange is used by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Air Quality Index to represent days with unhealthy air quality for sensitive groups, including people with lung disease." (From the COPD foundation)

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar