Myths about COPD?

By COPD Connect StaffA Latest Activity October 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm Views 1,330 Replies 4 Likes 1

COPD Connect Staff

What myths do you hear about COPD? How do you respond to them?

Despite its prevalence, COPD isn't well understood or noticed by the general public. This unawareness often leads to misunderstands. Here we debunk four myths: http://www.copdconnect.com/copd-articles/13-f.... What would you add to our list?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (4 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Lin Bigknife
    Lin Bigknife April 23, 2012 at 11:23 am   

The biggest myth I hear is that all COPD patients have caused their own damage by smoking. I hav never smoked a single cigarette in my life although I undoubtedly absorbed lots of second hand smoke from father and husband (father is deceased from smoker's cancer and husband quit 20 years ago.)

I resent being labeled as someone who could have prevented their own health problem if they had just tried enough. I have several serious health problems in addition to COPD including asthma, RA, Fibromyalgia and diabetes (thpe II.)

It would be great if everyone's energy is directed to bettering our world's health instead of trying to lay blame on someone. Hopefully as people become better educated, the only moves forward will be positive ones! Bless you all, Thanks, Lin

• Jeannie Holmes
    Jeannie Holmes April 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm   

I've noticed that no matter what the problem is they blame it on the one who has it. I'm beginning to think that insurance companies are starting these myths so they don't have to cover it.

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 April 23, 2012 at 1:20 pm   

BTW, and B/4 I forget- welcome to "LIN Bigknife" apparently Lin is now into multi-personalities!

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 April 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm   

It shouldn't even be about "blame", but rather education, treatment, and cure. There are enough factors that contributed. DIRECT ATTENTION TO FIXING THE PROBLEM!!!! PERIOD!

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar