Back Pain?

By Daela Latest Activity August 15, 2011 at 1:15 pm Views 5,632 Replies 18 Likes 7

Daela

I know this is kind of out there… But has anyone ever had back pain from COPD?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (18 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Marguerite12
    Marguerite12 February 10, 2013 at 1:57 pm   

Daela,
    I had such extreme back pain in May of 2012 that I called for an ambulance. When they arrived they put me on morphine immediately which helped right away. I was afraid I might be having a heart attack. I was in the hospital a day and a half and after several tests and xrays they have no idea what the problem was. The morphine got rid of the pain and I told them I was leaving. The pain was all across my back and it was so bad I could hardly breath and was worse upon breathing. I have had similar pain before but never so intense. I have always thought it was caused by my lungs but none of the doctors seemed concerned. I'm new here and I see you wrote in August of 2011. I hope you have found help by now. It is so hard to find a good primary or internist and with this 'Hospitalist' business where no one knows anything about you when you get to the hospital I guess you just better hope you're conscious on arrival.

• Ladywynd
    Ladywynd April 4, 2012 at 11:20 am   

I keep asking the doctors about it. Both my regular m.d. and pulmonologist said copd doesn't come with back pain…neither of them have copd tho :) I agree that sometimes it comes from coughing so much; but this is pain that sits just below the should blades. I wonder sometimes if it isn't because we tend to walk and move differently when trying to keep from becoming breathless. And I do think some of it is from not being as active as I used to be.

• Lin~Texas
    Lin~Texas April 5, 2012 at 1:31 pm   

Ladywynd, last year I had a pain below shoulder blades and it was pneumonia. It might also be pleuresy. It might also be from lungs elongating, if you have emphysema. If the docs can't figure it out, and won't order tests - sometimes as simple as an X-ray - maybe it's Spring Cleaning the Docs time and then find some who can be more responsive to you as a patient. I've had to 'fire' a few and wish I'd done that a lot sooner - I'd be in better shape now, perhaps. Good luck, follow your instincts!

• 58MaryC
    58MaryC September 9, 2011 at 2:53 pm   

Upper back, yes. Because that's where your lungs are.

• kammy50
    kammy50 September 1, 2011 at 2:04 am   
    Edited September 1, 2011 at 2:06 am by kammy50

Yes… I have had back pain from my COPD. Right in the area of my lungs.
    I know it's from My COPD cause I have had back pain all my life and def. know the difference.

• big john 66
    big john 66 August 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm   

I DON'T KNOW BECAUSE I'VE HAD BACK PAIN SINCE 1965 HAD 2 SURGERYS THEY CAN'T DO ANY MORE

• NCIS
    NCIS August 20, 2011 at 12:04 pm   

THIS IS NCIS: THE COPD HAS COLASPED MY LEFT LUNG I NOW HAVE LUNG CANCER AND BONE AS WELL THYROID CANCER AND YES DOES MY BACK HURT, YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT, I HAVE TAKEN NO CANCER TREATMENT, JUST ORGANIC FOODS AND COCONUT OIL THIS TAKES CARE OF ALL BAD CELLS IN THE BODY, I AM ABLE TO GO BACK TO THE LAPD AND ENJOY MY LIFE AND CHURCH WHICH IS ONE OF THE KEYS TO BATTLE COPD AND I HAVE MVP AS WELL, DO NOT GIVE UP
    HAVE A P;OSITIVE OUT LOOK AND AT TIME IT IS HARD BUT ASK GOD HE WILL
    SEE YOU THROUGH ANYTHING. I USE THE ALBUTEROL ND I NEED A NEW BREATHING MACHINE.

• Daela
    Daela August 20, 2011 at 11:40 pm   

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I have started a bible study to get closer to God :) I was thinking about all the coughing that happens that it might get my muscles all strained up on my back. This cough isn't just the normal kind, I'm sure you all know, those really long from the gut type coughs. I have Albueterol too, so we'll see how that progresses. And in all honesty I am new to all of this COPD stuff, and it sucks.

• 58MaryC
    58MaryC September 9, 2011 at 3:02 pm   

God bless you and help you in your studies. Try to find a bible-based church in your area, too. I used to think that fellowship wasn't all that iimportant because I've never been able to get along with people for extended periods of time. But it's an excellent place to learn more about God and to start putting His principles to practice. Things like dealing effectively with people who "bug" you. It's much easier to be nice to someone who loves God and is trying to follow Him, just like you. You're all in the same boat, so you tend to be more tolerant. You might even make a friend!

• Jeannie Holmes
    Jeannie Holmes August 21, 2011 at 12:57 pm   

You could have broncitis. Need to see the doctor girl!! HUGS

• Daela
    Daela August 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm   

Wellllpppp… Yeah you might be right… I've had it in the past, and I heard once you have it, it comes back. Right? So yeah I'll be arranging a visit if it keeps up… Thanks Jeannie

• Jeannie Holmes
    Jeannie Holmes August 20, 2011 at 1:14 pm   

Carroll. I am so sorry you have to go thru all of that. I will pray for you. But Daela, not all back pain is a problem. Some times it's just a pain. You really need to have a doctor look at it. HUGS to you both!

• vonnie1747
    vonnie1747 August 16, 2011 at 7:38 pm   

sure, allthe time. upper back when I notice that I also will notice that i am wheezing and not feeling well. lower back for me, is because of the movement not being what it used to.

• Jeannie Holmes
    Jeannie Holmes August 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm   

When my lungs are really congested I get upper back pains— ??

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 August 16, 2011 at 1:26 pm   
    Edited August 16, 2011 at 1:29 pm by Phonse65

Sheets, I think you are right about your theroy that the back pain stemmed from your reduced getting around when you were no longer working

• sheets
    sheets August 15, 2011 at 9:33 pm   

i have back pain that started after i was diaz. with copd, but i think its because i stopped moving around as much as i use to when i was working.

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 August 16, 2011 at 1:33 pm   

Daela, this probably applies to you too. So it seem logical to blame the COPD for the back pains. Like I told Sheets I think it just comes from not moving around as much B/4 COPD appeared.

• 58MaryC
    58MaryC September 9, 2011 at 3:06 pm   

You can also strain your muscles from tightening up to cough. Sometimes I cough so hard it gives me a stomach-ache.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar