Does exercise help?

By Jeanette Terry Latest Activity May 24, 2011 at 10:51 am Views 7,483 Replies 9 Likes 7

Jeanette Terry

Have you found that exercise has helped your COPD? I have heard that exercise can improve your breathing and help your body use the oxygen more efficiently which can decrease your COPD symptoms.

What kind of exercises have you found work the best and help your COPD the most?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (9 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • sheets
    sheets August 15, 2011 at 8:20 am   

hello there,i just started rehab these week,so i dont know if it will help my breating or not, but it has helped my self-esteem..at least now i get up and do something with myself,i think its a positive move for any one,no matter what you can do,get up-get-out,and enjoy life…dont be like i was, just laying around waiting for life to pass you by..

• BECKY333
    BECKY333 June 30, 2011 at 12:09 am   

About 4 months ago i started going to the gym…i unfortunately am still a smoker. that being said, i find myself just trying to get through 2 laps on the treadmill. i eigher hve to stop for a break or slow it down to catch my breath completely. i quit smoking about a yr. ago for 5 mths…and in that time i noticed i wasn't hacking or coughing anything up anymore and i could walk/jog to my daughters bus stop. but now i am back to smoking and everything is back to where i was in the beginning…yuck! just to climb into bed and get all comfy takes the breath away.
    i have been trying to really cut back on smoking and have started chantix again…great stuff! i still go to the gym 5 days a week for atleast 30 minutes but mostly i push my self to go an hour. i'm not giving up because i really need to lose weight and quit smoking…it really bites though because i love smoking. LORD, help me get through this!!!!

• wolflover01
    wolflover01 May 27, 2011 at 8:07 pm   

i go to stores and do yard work it takes all i got to walk to the mail box and back and then i end up using inhalor

• carla osborn
    carla osborn May 24, 2011 at 3:14 pm   

I walk in stores with a shopping cart this helps me feel so much better. I can always put my arms or elbows on each end of the cart handle to extend lung capacity, Often this works so I do not have to use oxygen. Water like a pool or a jacuzzi(I cannot do this unless it is where I can keep temp down) it makes it easier to move limbs. Going up a very small amount of steps or using my one step stepstool. Using a bicycle pedals small that sets on floor. Streching like when I wake up before I get out of bed , getting out of a car, or after setting for a while really helps get oxygen going and stops from pain and total lose of oxygen. Anything I do I try to pace myslelf so it gives time for oxygen to dispurse so I do not have an attack. Lets not forget about making love.

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 May 30, 2011 at 1:22 pm   
    Edited May 30, 2011 at 1:23 pm by Phonse65

What makes u think I forgot?

• OhSoBlessed
    OhSoBlessed May 26, 2011 at 6:43 am   

The peddler sounds like smart way to exercise, safer too. I'm afraid I'll faint and fall off the treadmill. At grocery store I also lean on the cart but cannot do it without my oxygen. The breathing techniques discussed in this community have been a big help to me and when done correctly really do help.

• OhSoBlessed
    OhSoBlessed May 24, 2011 at 10:57 am   

other health issues prevent me from doing much in way of exercise but I do notice that even minimal amount of easy walking (on treadmill) does help increase stamina and decrease my COPD symptoms.

• cajunrbuckeye
    cajunrbuckeye May 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm   

I use a peddler while i am watching tv in the evenings, but its only for about 2 minutes at a time but after a 10 minute break i can peddle again. when we go to the grocery i put my oxygen tank in a cart so i can lean on it when i need to.just doing this makes me sweat up a storm. as long as i plan my activities i can usually build up my breathing while using the breatthing techingue i learn here in the connect.

• OhSoBlessed
    OhSoBlessed May 26, 2011 at 6:46 am   

The peddler sounds like smart way to exercise, safer than treadmill too. I also do the "shopping cart lean" LOL Thanks for sharing.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar