Weight

By mriser Latest Activity May 11, 2011 at 5:42 pm Views 6,737 Replies 33 Likes 10

mriser

Some of us with COPD, like myself, gain weight while others lose weight. Which one are you, and what do you think is the reason for your weight gain or loss?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (33 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • kar_sudeep
    kar_sudeep April 17, 2012 at 11:04 am   
    Edited April 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm by kar_sudeep

Hi,

A very common perception with weightlifting supplements is that they are unnatural. They are necessary nutrients that typically come from a natural food source. Some people may have deficiency which can cause them to not be able to absorb these nutrients or process them correctly.

www.juicerx.com/are.you.a.html

• wolflover01
    wolflover01 May 21, 2011 at 5:20 pm   

THERE ARE SEVERAL MEDICATIONS OUT THERE THAT WILL PUT THE WEIGHT ON YOU I KNOW I WAS SMALL BEFORE I WENT ON ALL THE MEDS I AM ON NOW NOW I LOOK LIKE A BEACHED WHALE LOL THE MEDS MAKE YOUR BODY RETAIN FLUID THAT IT CANT GET RID OF AND IT WILL MAKE YOU GO ON A SEE FOOD DIET EAT EVERYTHING YOU SEE I HAVE LOST SOME WEIGHT BUT IT IS HARD WHEN YOU ARE ON SO MUCH MEDICINES,KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

• Prisda
    Prisda May 20, 2011 at 11:11 am   

I just gained 5lbs due to being on Prednisone for a couple of weeks. Was in the hospital and Pulmonologist put me on decreasing doses. From past experience I eat everything in sight. Off the Pred and back to usual meds. Now seriously following Weight Watcher program which has worked for me in the past.

• RAYT721
    RAYT721 May 18, 2011 at 4:19 am   

Howdy! I do not have COPD but I have friends who do which is the reason for my being here to gather and share information with others. I have had a 30 pound weight loss by adapting some "swaps" in my lifestyle since being diagnosed as a diabetic and I recently compiled a list of tips that will hopefully help those members who are looking to lose weight. This article, in its entirety, was posted to both Obesity Connect and Diabetes Connect and was written and posted by myself. Hope y'all will find it helpful:

Now Just Weight a Minute!!!

People have been looking for that magic pill that will erase excess weight for years now without success. There have been many programs and products that have made millions of dollars off billions of frustrated dieters. The result? Our society is still overweight but to a dangerous level from the complications of obesity.

If I had all of the answers I would right now be writing what I believe would be a best-selling, billion dollar-earning book rather than writing a discussion post here. I am neither a doctor nor dietician but I am a crazy old man with some common (and not so common) sense tips on how I have lost 30 pounds over the past year. If my plan were easy, I would be discussing it on my own talk show rather than amongst my Obesity Connect and Diabetic Connect friends. It’s NOT easy! But, I love you all that if just one tip can help one person, I’m satisfied.

A few months ago a co-worker came up to me and said, “Ray, You are looking so good” and asked, “How did you do it?” I was flattered and happy to share my story but with each tip I offered she replied with expressions like “I couldn’t do that,” “I don’t like that,” and “that won’t work.” I was thinking to myself, “how about if I take you outside and bludgeon you?” It is understandable that the points that I am about to make are, I believe, true for ME and for my body and likes/dislikes and my tastebuds.

1> Do not starve yourself. Make sure to eat at least three meals a day but with the right portions, you may consider eating 5-6 times a day whether it is a meal or a snack. Breakfast is the most important of all of your daily meals. It helps to fuel your body and you have the whole day to burn the calories. Some people will eat after a certain time at night while others would not consider it. Since I refuse to cook for you, I will leave that decision up to you.
    2> Water has many properties and most of my research suggests a minimum of 64 ournces of water daily. This doesn’t mean you should go run outside in search of the garden hose. You can work up to that goal a little at a time. I want to say that tap water is better for you than bottled. Why? Tap water is regulated better, has fluoride, and is substantial cheaper than bottled.
    3> Portion control is very important when it comes to a weight loss plan (I hate the word diet). Might I suggest investing in a decent quality scale in order to stick to your plan for counting calories, carbs, etc. Another suggestion is to journal your food. There are many online free services available to you. Simply ask me if you would like referrals to them. By weighing your foods you will be more accurate in sticking to serving size portions.
    4> Do NOT weigh yourself daily! There is nothing worse than looking at a one pound weight gain one day even if there’s a two pound loss the next day. The key is losing weight is to be realistic on what’s a safe and sane target per day or week or month. If you are intending to lose ten pounds a week for ten weeks to lose your hundred pound goal, the only thing you’ll lose is your sanity. Slow and steady wins the race.
    5> Take baby steps. Make a change that you can live with and live with it before making another change. Nothing will burn you out more than a complete lifestyle change overnight which is why many New Year resolutions do not usually last long. Sure, you’re fired up … but will you stick with it? For me the answer is no.
    6> You may wish to consider swapping certain ingredients in your favorite recipes for healthier options and/or to check out new recipes online and in cookbooks or with friends. You don’t have to deny yourself of everything you’ve ever loved. Be sensible in finding alternatives: sugar free for sugared products (if your body tolerates it); lower carb/calorie/fat/sodium this for higher amounts of that; brown rice and breads instead of white. Read the labels!
    7> You do not need a gym in order to exercise. Go for a walk; touch your toes; dust your ceiling; grab one pound cans … whatever it takes!
    8> Shopping when hungry or unprepared are both bad ideas. Make a list of what you need so you won’t buy what you want. Leave tempting family members art home to avoid having ice cream and Ho Hos tossed in your cart or with that whining “Can I have this?” … that goes for spouses as well as children. If you let your family plan your diet, you’ll be dipping fruit loops in marshmallow crème for dinner tomorrow.
    9> Add some new products to your eating plan and find new ways to try them. Don’t like fish? It may be time to try again. Our tastes change every so often that we are no longer the child we were twenty or so years ago. Maybe that explains why many of us are still addicted to sugar? I’m just sayin’
    10> Finally, don’t go out rewarding yourself with new outfits if you are sincere about a drastic weight loss program. Consider shopping in thrift shops or for elastic waists and baggy tops for interim clothing to make more room in your budget for a celebratory wardrobe when the time comes. If you are five or so sizes from your target, you could spend thousands of dollars keeping up with the needs for temporary clothing wardrobes.

Be good to yourself. You’ve made the decision to lose weight. Congratulations!!! We are here to encourage each other on the journey. Don’t burn out. Remember that slow and steady wins the race.

• Jameesa
    Jameesa June 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm   

I absolutely agree!! I lost 2 dress sizes in the last couple of years. Went from size 22 to a 16/18; would love to be in a straight 16 but I do realize I didn't gain it overnite and I am not trying to lose it fast. I eat pretty healthy, drink almost a gallon of water a day(worked up to that :) exercise and walked outside until a couple of days ago when the temps here in GA started staying in the 90's so its back to the treadmill and I have become addicted to my hula hoop!! Be blessed!!

• Jeannie Holmes
    Jeannie Holmes May 16, 2011 at 12:56 pm   

There are exercises you can do in a chair. Take a look at this video
    http://www.copdconnect.com/videos/18-sit-and-...

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 May 16, 2011 at 12:51 pm   

I couldn't use a hula hoop even when I was a kid. I don't know why, cause later I gained a reputation for being a great dancer.

• cajunrbuckeye
    cajunrbuckeye May 16, 2011 at 6:15 am   

Its been almost 3years since being told that i had copd, and since then i have gain almost 150 pounds andtrying to lose it is hard. its alot easier to gain the weigth then to lose it…being tied to a oxygen hose 24/7 makes it a liilte difficult to exercise. Just getting from room to room is a challenge lately…

• big john 66
    big john 66 May 13, 2011 at 9:07 am   

i'm very heavy can't seem to loose it not active enough and can't afford to eat healthy

• OhSoBlessed
    OhSoBlessed May 13, 2011 at 12:07 pm   

With COPD it is vital that your diet be the healthiest possible. Talk with your Dr., perhaps your insurance would allow consultation with a licensed nutritionist. The internet also offers a wealth of information, recipes. etc. to help you select, prepare, enjoy healthy, low cost meals. Of course exercise, even moderate, will be of utmost benefit. I am 76, on small limited, fixed income, have discovered it actually costs less to eat healthy!! Knowledge really is power. Good luck to you.

• carolln1949
    carolln1949 May 28, 2011 at 10:08 am   

For the first time in my life, I am too thin (imagine that lol) I always thought it would be so nice to eat all and anything I wanted, but the trouble is, I don't want anything. I can't stomach or afford those drinks like Boost. But I know I need to eat healthy right now more than ever. Where can I go to find information on this? I would gladly take 40 or 50 pounds from you folks if I could. God Bless you all!

• OhSoBlessed
    OhSoBlessed May 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm   

I am in the same boat Carolin1949. Even on daily dose of prednisone for breathing I'm not able to gain and keep it. Recently I did manage to hit scales at 90 pounds, three days later was back down couple of pounds. Being too thin and short to boot sure makes finding age appropriate clothing a chore! Plenty of discussion on here about nutrition, as well as books etc. Even search online for tips. Good luck to you. I never believed it was as difficult to gain weight as it is to lose but by golly it sure is! Let me know how your doing. Hugs.

• carolln1949
    carolln1949 May 30, 2011 at 10:23 am   

Oh my you are thin. I am 5'4" and have gone down to 109 lbs. I go back to the doctor tomorrow, and sure hope I've gained some. I've been drinking chocolate milk and force feeding ice cream all weekend trying to gain a few pounds. Never thought I'd have this kind of trouble! You are so right about the clothes too. My sister told me I looked like little orpan Annie in my clothes. lol Thanks for all the helpfull information. Everyone on this site is so kind and helpful. God Bless You! and Hugs to you too!

• OhSoBlessed
    OhSoBlessed May 30, 2011 at 10:40 am   

Good luck at the weigh in! So frustrating isn't it? Eat lot of foods that are supposed to put weight on but then run risk of higher cholesterol etc. Used to stand at 5'2" … now osteoporosis has shrunk me to 4'10". I get teased about my clothes coming from same department as my 11 year old granddaughter! I try to not look too ridiculous but sure takes lot of work…somejhow a cute "Hello Miss Kitty" motive loses something when worn by a 76 year old lady. LOL God be with you & bless you.

• Jeannie Holmes
    Jeannie Holmes May 30, 2011 at 12:12 pm   

I bet you look super cute in your Hello Kitty shirt!!!!! LOL

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 May 17, 2011 at 6:35 am   

You, dear lady, are truly a gift from God! Have a wonderful day.

• carla osborn
    carla osborn May 13, 2011 at 8:14 am   

I have gained 40 lbs since I have been diagnoised. I always had to walk and do exercise to stay fit. Now I am not able to do that so I substitute food for cigs, boredom, and lack of exercise. My goal is to get rid of of this extra weight with new hobbies.

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 May 17, 2011 at 6:37 am   

I wish you total success Carla. I pray that you meet your goal.

• Jameesa
    Jameesa May 16, 2011 at 11:32 am   

Are you still doing any walking… ?? Even if you start with 15-20min each day… You will feel so much better!! I got a hula hoop a couple of weeks ago from Toys R Us; such fun…

• mriser
    mriser May 17, 2011 at 1:17 pm   

My other half has had me jumping through hoops for years, I dont' think I need another one to worry about…LOL But it does sound like fun!

• OhSoBlessed
    OhSoBlessed May 12, 2011 at 3:38 pm   

Weight loss is a big problem for me. Unclear why but can't seem to gain back what I've lost. Not particularly physically active due to spinal fractures, although I do try to do some form of exercise most days. I eat 5 - 6 times a day, unable to eat a regular full sized meal at one sitting. Couple of bites and am worn out and feel stuffed. Cousin is a Nutritionist and even following her recommended high calorie snacks etc. unable to gain. Force myself to eat because I know I must. Few years ago I did briefly put on about 15 pounds but as soon as off round of mega doses of prednisone lost those plus some. Blood work all fine, Drs not too concerned, I'm not anemic or undernourished.

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 May 11, 2011 at 9:52 pm   

My weight gain was 40lbs, but I think I was eating more out of anxiety, because once I accepted my COPD the weight dropped back.

• mriser
    mriser May 11, 2011 at 5:50 pm   

I think that my weight gain was due to my metabolism slowing down; but my intake of food has not tapered down to an equal or lesser rate.

• MainEvent
    MainEvent May 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm   

When I first entered the hosp in 2004 with COPD I weighed about 140 lbs and thought I was heavy. Now I'm at 170 and I know I'm obese. I have tried decreasing my intake (that makes me graze on food all day long):)). I was doing well with exercise and then all of a sudden just stopped. I think that even though I try to remain up beat I think I have an underlying feeling of hopelessness. This is the first time I have mentioned it because I think this is the first time I have truly realized and believed it. Maybe now that I can see some of the problem I'll b able to change some things if only one little bit at a time. Thank you my friends (and I don't say that lightly)

• carolln1949
    carolln1949 May 28, 2011 at 10:19 am   

MainEvent, I am just now reading all these posts as I just joined a few days ago and am trying to absorb all this new information. But, after reading your post, I had to just stop and have a good cry because you nailed me. You put into words exactly what I am feeling. It does help to know that we are not alone in this. Thanks for being here!

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 May 16, 2011 at 12:59 pm   
    Edited May 17, 2011 at 6:41 am by Phonse65

I am so glad that you "broke thru" that barrier. The underlying problem is your feelings of hopelessness. Once you hit and crash thru, "it's not the end of the world", your life can be so much less stressful, with more lighter moments; AND HANG ON - YOU'LL FIND YOURSELF LAUGHING AGAIN! It does happen, please trust me!
    More importantly, trust the Lord.

• MainEvent
    MainEvent May 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm   

Don't worry, I will. They say you should never let go before the miracle happens!!

• mriser
    mriser May 14, 2011 at 10:30 pm   

I come from a family of people who love to eat. My father has been the only one who has been disiplined enough to practiced moderation and has kept his weight proportionate to his height and bone structure. My weight when I was diagnosed with COPD was 175 lbs stacked 5 feet 9 inches tall. After 2 years or so I was up to 255 lbs. I felt almost as tall lying down as I was standing up. That was maybe three years after I quit smoking and I still had a voratious appite. It is now about 15 years since I was diagnosed with COPD and I am about 220 lbs. But now I know and understand this is what I want to do. I have made changes in the types of food I eat, but quantity still plays a large role. I don't even mind that uncomfortable feeling of breathlessness after I eat. I know it will go away in a short time.

My therory is that many of us as COPD patients must undergo so many different lifestyle changes to manage our disease that we fear we are losing track of who we are or once were. Nothing is normal in our lives anymore. Well, it is; but we just haven't accepted and come to terms with our new normal yet.
    But once we do, it becomes easier to accept the lifestyle changes that work best for us as individuals. Sure we can do everything we are supposed to do to feel our optimal best within the proportion of advancement of our COPD. But would we be truly happy with that? All I know is that for me, when I lay me down to sleep and pray the lord my soul to keep, I am for once in my life content with my choices.

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 May 16, 2011 at 1:08 pm   

Bingo Bud! We talk about life-style changes, but what is that? It is one of those things that is as individual as the patient is. An anology: If John Doe's "Life-style" includes a six-pak of Bud before dinner each day, his making a change in that area would be much, much harder than it would for Mary Smith, who never touched booze in her life. If you think about it, their are seemingly endless lists of 'habits' just like this.

It is LIKE FINDING OUT THAT YOU HAVE COPD, AND CONTINUEING TO SMOKE; and here I am pointing my finger directly at myself!

• mriser
    mriser May 17, 2011 at 1:00 pm   

A a matter of fact, we are all creatures of habit. It is what keeps us in our individual comfort zones be they physical or psychological.

• Jeannie Holmes
    Jeannie Holmes May 14, 2011 at 8:34 pm   

I think we all hit that period of denial. I know I did. I stopped doing any of the healthy things I was doing for about 9 months. I really messed myself up. I'm still trying to reverse all the harm I did!!

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 May 17, 2011 at 6:45 am   

I'm sure that anything you are going to try, will be a success.

• sheets
    sheets May 19, 2011 at 6:19 am   

i thought i was the only one that gained the weight,my whole life i weight around 160 pounds,a year ago i gained an extra 45 pounds,but did not know why,i thought may be it was the meds i was on,but now i think its because i have copd,i try to not eat so much,but thats not working,i think i will try what is suggested,it makes it that much harder to breath,also i found out that my finger nails have changed shape,they are what they call cubbed fingers,because of not enought oxygen to them,is there any thing else i should be aware of,since i am new to this illness?? god bless you all.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar